Do I have a right to a court-appointed attorney to represent me on a CVB matter?

The court will appoint an attorney to represent you only if the government is seeking either a jail sentence or a sentence that includes a term of probation. This will depend on the type of charge. For example, if you are arrested for a DUI, you likely be afforded court-appointed counsel. The reason for this is that DUI convictions will include no less than a sentence of probation. The Federal Public Defender’s Office is often appointed on petty theft, drug possession, and disturbing the peace offenses as well.