Author: Federal Public Defender

Will I be searched when I enter the federal courthouse?

Posted on June 9, 2017

When you enter the courthouse, you will go through a metal detector. Your handbag, briefcase, backpack, and any containers will be x-rayed, and you will be required to remove your shoes. Metal objects including knitting needles, scissors, nail clippers, pocket knives, and any kind of weapon, are not permitted and will be confiscated. Alcoholic beverages are not permitted. The use of cameras, camera phones and recording devices inside the courtroom is prohibited. Security officers may confiscate any items they think are hazardous. If you have […]..

What is the Central Violations Bureau or CVB?

Posted on June 8, 2017

Central Violations Bureau (CVB) refers to those petty offenses (as defined under 18 USC 19) that occur on federal property, such as federal buildings, national parks, military bases, post offices, Veteran Affairs centers, Social Security Administration Offices, local national forests (i.e., Angeles Crest, Los Padres National Forest), and any other areas that are patrolled or under the jurisdiction of the federal government. In the Central District of California, CVB matters include violations occurring on Vandenberg Air Force Base (VAFB), the Naval bases out of Ventura […]..

What types of offenses are covered by CVB?

Posted on June 8, 2017

CVB offenses are governed by 18 U.S.C. section 19. This statute specifically states that petty offenses include Class B misdemeanors, Class C misdemeanors, and infractions. We will also see Class A misdemeanors on the CVB docket. Here is a breakdown of the particulars for each type of citation: Class A Misdemeanors: The maximum sentence is one year of imprisonment; a fine of up to $100,000; a $25 special assessment; a $25 CVB processing fee; and up to one year of supervised release or 5 years […]..

Do I have a right to a court-appointed attorney to represent me on a CVB matter?

Posted on June 8, 2017

The court will appoint an attorney to represent you only if the government is seeking either a jail sentence or a sentence that includes a term of probation. This will depend on the type of charge. For example, if you are arrested for a DUI, you likely be afforded court-appointed counsel. The reason for this is that DUI convictions will include no less than a sentence of probation. The Federal Public Defender’s Office is often appointed on petty theft, drug possession, and disturbing the peace […]..